Who doesn’t love the idea of a front porch? Do you picture yourself sipping a cool lemonade or iced tea in the shade on a hot summer’s day while watching the world go by. Some home builders have embraced this ideal over the past couple decades with more new construction featuring this timeless feature. Often though, the size of the porch seems to make it more of an idea than a usable space.
But even a modest-sized porch can be an inviting place to relax.
Here are 5 trendy ideas to enhance a small porch.
- Outdoor Furniture – Any porch can accommodate some kind of furniture. It may be a modest bench or a small outdoor couch, but adding a sitting option is an instant plus.
- Pillows – Soften the look of the space and create a welcoming impression by adding pillows or blankets to the sitting area. Vary the color and style by season using weather-proof fabrics.
- Potted Plants – Small containers or size-appropriate edges of flowers or bushes add softness and interest to any front porch. Plants allow the space to integrate with the rest of the front yard.
- Color – Play with the color of both the furnishings and plants to draw the eye of the observer. Soft pastels paired with a bold splash will move the viewer’s eye around the space, creating the illusion of more room.
- Remove Clutter – Finally, remove anything unnecessary and keep the porch cleared of debris or overgrown plants.
A front porch should lure one in. Even a small porch can be a pleasant place to relax, read, or refresh with just a few small changes.
If you’re looking to buy or sell a home in the Twin Cities, or the surrounding areas, please feel free to call, text, or email Shannon at your earliest convenience.
Shannon Lindstrom, Realtor®, AHWD, CRS, GREEN, MRP, VCA