For most individuals, the only effort they place into the ceiling design is removing the old popcorn ceiling. While this is certainly a first step, there are many ways to use the ceiling to add value and impact to any room.
Considered the ceiling as the “fifth wall” by designers, ceiling design changes can be either subtle or dramatic. Browse through any home décor magazine and notice the ceiling treatments. Often, they feature bold colors or textures that go somewhat unnoticed by the viewer. Bedrooms, living rooms, and even bathrooms are prime targets for a makeover. Here are 5 great options to try out in your home.
- Bold Color – Contrary to popular opinion, a dark or strong color on the ceiling does not make the room look smaller. In fact, the use of a color on the ceiling invites the eye to move around the room and creates another interesting space.
- Brighten Monotone Rooms – If you are planning to keep the room monotone, with soft whites or beiges, add more white tone to the ceiling to add some depth to the room.
- Molding – Add molding to the ceiling. You can create an elegant surrounding with a chandelier, for example.
- Add Some Shine – Contrast a matte wall with a high-gloss ceiling in bold color. Perfect to brighten any room.
- Metallic Options – You’ve seen the pressed metal ceilings in old bars or restaurants, but there are also more subtle modern treatments that bring an element of industrial design to a space.
There are so many ways to create a more interesting design story by updating your ceiling. There is no reason not to try something dramatic that can give any room a fresh look.
If you’re looking to buy a new home in Minneapolis, Saint Paul, or the surrounding areas, please feel free to call, text, or email Shannon at your earliest convenience.
Shannon Lindstrom, Realtor®, AHWD, CRS, GREEN, MRP, VCA